Sociology Research Guide
To find Books, Ebooks & Media:
Use the ACM Library Online Catalog by going to the Library Welcome page. Enter a keyword in the catalog search box. This online catalog lists all books, ebooks, DVDs, and other non-print items located in libraries at both Cumberland and Bedford campuses of ACM. For instructions on how to use the catalog, click on the Help tab at the upper right.
Want to browse the bookshelves? Sociology books have call numbers beginning with the Letter HM through HX.
To find Articles in Scholarly Journals, Magazines, & Newspapers (Databases):
From the Library’s Welcome page, click on the Access to Research Databases link on the left. Note: if you are searching from off-campus you will need to enter your ACM Login first.
The following databases cover Sociology topics:
- Sociology Journals (ProQuest)
- Academic Search Complete (EBSCO)
- Issues and Controversies (Facts on File)
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource Center (Gale)
- CQ Researcher (Congressional Quarterly)
- Newspapers (ProQuest)
If you need assistance, look for the database help links and tutorials. Or ask a librarian to assist you.
Reference Sources (Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, etc.):
From the Library Welcome page, click on the Access to Research Databases link on the left. The following reference sources offer Sociology topics:
- Credo Reference includes various specialized online reference sources on Sociology related topics as well as Topics Pages with lists of resources. Click on Social Sciences under the list of Topics or use a specific subject term, e.g., “ethnicity” in the search box.
- Libguide on Sociology by Credo. Be sure to click on the various tabs.
- Encyclopedia Britannica
- Infobase ebooks Collection includes several basic Sociology Handbooks online. Choose Current Issues, then Family & Society or use the search box to enter specific keywords.
- Concise encyclopedia of sociology HM425 .C66 2011
- Encyclopedia of sociology Ref. HM425 .E52 v.1+
- A dictionary of sociology Ref. HM425 .D5735
- A student handbook to sociology HM585 .S796 2012 Cumberland only; see also ebook version from Infobase ebooks above.
Need more help? Ask a Librarian:
Main Campus, Cumberland: 301-784-5138
Bedford County Campus (Everett, PA): 814-652-9528 ext. 6206
Or email a question to email@example.com
Compiled by C. Prezlock firstname.lastname@example.org 8/2018